Happy Healthy Life helps those living with both a mild to moderate intellectual disability and a mental illness, usually severe depression, schizophrenia or bi-polar disorder.
We help people become more self-aware and learn skills and strategies for living a healthier life.
- Adapted from an Evidence Based Practice, Illness Management and Recovery, to meet the needs of people with co-occurring diagnoses.
- We provide a structured curriculum for a small classroom setting of about 4 or 5 participants.
- Individualized plans are created for each participant.
- Classroom learning is reinforced with homework assignments, allowing participants to practice new skills in a real life environment.
- Involvement of families and care givers is important for the participants’ success. Families and care givers are encouraged to attend class and provide support with homework.
- Results experienced include:
- Reduced hospitalization
- Reduced crisis episodes
- Increased engagement in a meaningful activity
- Improved happiness including attaining established goals and increased social interaction.
- More engaged in life in general
- Program includes the following modules:
- Leading a happy healthy life
- Understanding mental illness
- Managing the symptoms of mental illness
- Building relationships
- Using medication
- Drugs and alcohol
- Reducing relapses
- Coping with stress
- Coping with symptoms
- Speaking up for ourselves
Adults and young adults with a co-occurring diagnosis of an intellectual disability and a mental illness, namely severe depression, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.
No cost for those who qualify for JEVS Recovery Services funding.
9350 Ashton Road, Suite 201
Philadelphia, PA 19114
Monday – Friday
8 am – 4 pm
If your organizaton would like to offer Happy Healthy Life to your program participants, please contact us at 267.350.8600.