At our 18th Annual Strictly Business event on November 9, 2016–which gathered more than 700 regional business and community leaders–JEVS Human Services honored Burton (Bob) Cohen of Acme Corrugated Box Co., Inc. for his commitment to advancing opportunities for youth in our region. In addition, we also honored three remarkable young adults who have faced great obstacles and found the strength to achieve their dreams: Gentil Ndizihiwe, Josh Shusterman and Maurice Young.
Inspiration Award Honorees
Learn more about each of our award winners through their videos and stories:
Gentil Ndizihiwe is a JEVS Center for New Americans client and a JEVS Project WOW graduate. After living in a refugee camp in Rwanda for 16 years, Gentil and his family relocated to Philadelphia. Learn how JEVS helped him capture his own piece of the American dream by watching his video.
Josh Shusterman is a member of JEVS Philadelphia Independence Network and a JEVS Supports Coordination participant. Born with cerebral palsy, Josh was in and out of the hospital throughout his childhood enduring multiple surgeries. See how JEVS has helped him live the independent life he’d always dreamed of by watching his video.
Maurice Young is a graduate of JEVS’ Orleans Technical College. Several years ago, Maurice suffered a near fatal head injury when he was shot twice in the head. He beat the odds and was determined to undo past mistakes. Learn how Maurice is now using his story to inspire young people to choose a positive path by watching his video.
Special Recognition Award Honoree
Burton (Bob) Cohen is a long-time Board member and friend to JEVS Human Services. His relationship with us began 30 years ago when his company, Acme Corrugated Box Co., Inc., began hiring job seekers from JEVS Center for New Americans. Today, Bob is committed to advancing opportunities for young people in our region. See how by watching his video.
In the News
- Two of this year’s Strictly Business Inspiration Award winners, Maurice and Gentil, were interviewed by Loraine Ballard Morrill from iHeart Radio. The interview ran on several iHeart stations including Power 99 and WDAS. >>Listen to the interview. (Fast forward to 6:15 to hear our clip.)
- Maurice and Gentil’s incredible stories were featured in an article from the Northeast Times. They were also included in The Philadelphia Tribune.
- Maurice was featured in a column by Helen Ubinas in The Philadelphia Inquirer and in a story from Chestnut Hill Local.
- Special Recognition Award honoree Burton (Bob) Cohen was included in the “People In The News” section of The Intelligencer.
- Strictly Business 2016 Inspiration Award winner Josh Shusterman was featured in a story from the Main Line Times.
Thanks to the support of our many event sponsors, attendees and donors, this year, Strictly Business was able to surpass its fundraising goal of $250,000! Proceeds from Strictly Business fund scholarships to JEVS’ vocational assessment, job readiness, skills training and career services for individuals in need.