JEVS Career Solutions for 55+ provides mature Philadelphia job seekers with professional job readiness workshops, one-on-one job coaching, and advocacy. For more information on how we can help you, register for our next free Information Session, which are held via Zoom videoconference. See our events page to RSVP for an upcoming session.
Today, there are many unemployed, mature, qualified, job seekers applying for jobs daily. Unfortunately, they are faced with rejection letters from employers without any reasonable explanation as to why. It is a social concern that these applicants could be experiencing ageism and age discrimination. JEVS Career Solutions for 55+ recognizes that age discrimination does exist. Therefore, our program is here to assist seniors with job readiness services including job leads and job placement. Although, age discrimination does exist, for some, discrimination is not always the case. Many seniors have been misled to believe that employers will not hire them because of their age. Perhaps, if seasoned job seekers were more prepared for job search, it would increase their opportunities of obtaining employment. Below you will find tips on how to become the best job applicant for the job:
Focus on being the best candidate for the job.
Job applicants of a mature age must focus on being the best candidate for the job and less on their age. Employers these days are seeking skilled individuals who are eager to work.
Did you know that mature job seekers 55 years old and older are known as the “kings and queens “of communications? They are also admired for their great work ethic, determination, and loyalty. Many Millennial job seekers can take notes from this hierarchy of professionals because they are often found in leadership positions and/or have experienced longevity as valued employees.
According to Walden University research team, the generation of Baby Boomers are known as “workaholics” they value face-to-face communication and prefer teamwork, collaboration, and group decision-making. Hiring employers are looking for these types of candidates.
Preparation is key!
- Create a resume and cover letter that represent you best! Become familiar with your resume to be able to talk about your previous work experience.
- During an interview be able to verbally describe your past job responsibilities and relative experience precisely. Put those great communication skills to work by telling a great story about your accomplishments.
- Learn about the company and the position you are applying for by conducting on-line research. Allow Google to become your best friend.
- Practice interviewing with a friend and/or a professional job coach from the 55+ program.
- Brush up on your computer technology skills.
- Be Confident! Don’t allow someone else’s negative opinions to affect the way you feel about yourself. You are valuable!
You do not have to travel this job search journey alone. We have helped hundreds of people just like you find employment.
We hope that you’ve found these tips to be enlightening and informative. If you have any questions, need support with your résumé, job leads and professional career coaching, please feel free to contact us about our free services (generously funded by the Philadelphia Corporation for Aging–PCA):
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, JEVS Career Solutions for 55+ program understands that finding a job can be frustrating. However, we’re pleased to report that employers are hiring! Therefore, we encourage you to be patient, pace yourself and seek professional support. Also, continue to connect with positive people who are on the same journey as yourself.